Friday, March 10, 2006

our Saturday afternoon crane

we were on our last hill when we saw him, perched atop a Georgia pine

legs staggered, he seemed to turn and stare at us
from that height
the hush that fell froze limbs and minutes passed in which
I’m not sure we breathed

what we felt that day remains dear and true
still, I wouldn’t mind seeing our crane again
wouldn’t mind hearing you say again,
I’m yours for always.

Tonight your voice flutters softly in my ear
strumming that guitar and softly singing
this time just for me

This missing you rends even the warmest lamplit night
and try as I might to patch it up with pink moons and chocolate bars,
it will not mend and lingers,
waiting and still, like me for you

Waiting - I never could stand still -
twitch and hop from leg to leg with our crane,
in the Saturday deepening day's light
Solid on one leg, like me for you

1 comment:

RC said...

you're my favorite one.